January 21, 2016
Updated Cell Phone Policy: Due to concerns regarding the distraction cell phones present to our students’ during instructional time and their academic standing we have changed our cell phone policy effective January 26, 2016.
NEW SCHOOL-BASED POLICY OF MOTT HAVEN COMMUNITY HIGH SCHOOL FOR USE OF CELL PHONES, COMPUTING DEVICES, AND PORTABLE MUSIC AND ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
Students are not permitted to have the following electronic items in school:
2) laptops, tablets, iPads and other similar computing devices (“computing devices”); and
portable music and entertainment systems, such as iPods, MP3 players, PSP, and Nintendo DS.
Violation of School Policy:
If a student is found in possession of a cell phone or any other electronic device in the school
building they will face disciplinary action as described below:
• 1st offense: confiscation of item and return at end of school day
• 2nd offense: confiscation of item and return following in school parent conference
• 3rd offense: confiscation of item and return after 30 days
• 4th offense: confiscation of item and return in June
Students who defy the lawful authority of school staff by refusing to hand over cell phones when requested, are found in possession of or use cell phones, computing devices, and/or portable music and entertainment system in violation of any provision of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’s policy, Chancellor Regulation A-413, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy
(“ISUSP”) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code including but not limited to suspension.
Policy shall take effect January 26, 2016